CORAL & MUMMS
Coral is composed of three parts. You will only need to be familiar with the first two components (Coral & MUMMS).
- MUMMS is a web-based application that manages user accounts and permissions. You will have to follow the registration process prior to reserving and using any equipment in the labs. Register for a MUMMS account here: https://mrllms.mit.edu/mumms/registration.html* Please note the Microsystems Technology Laboratory (MTL) also uses the Coral system for lab management. The MTL and MRL Coral servers are different, and if you are going to use equipment from both MTL and MRL, you must create a different account for each organization. No information is shared between the systems.
- Coral is a lab management system that records each user's instrument use and reservations. You will be given instructions in the lab on how to log in and use the instruments. In addition to using Coral in a web browser, you can also download a remote version of Coral onto your computer.Go to the Coral Lab Management System when you want to:
- Register to become a user of the MRL Shared Facilities
- Reserve an instrument
- Review and delete reservations
- Log instrument use
- Report instrument problems
- View instrument status
- Cost Recovery is the system which processes your monthly billing. Financial staff will be the only users of this part of the system.
HOW TO OBTAIN LAB ACCESS FOR MIT USERS AND FOR EXTERNAL (non MIT) USERS
Non-MIT User Instructions
Complete the Non-MIT user application for either academic use or non-academic use as applicable per the descriptions below.
- Academic Use: Researchers without a direct MIT affiliation who are working on a research project at an academic institution or hospital. Click here to complete the Non-MIT Academic Use Application.
- Non-Academic Use: Researchers who are neither affiliated with MIT nor with any other academic institution or hospital; or MIT faculty members who are using the facilities in connection with a consulting or other formal arrangement with a commercial entity. Click here to complete the Non-MIT Non-Academic Use Application.
1. REGISTER IN THE OUR MUMMS SYSTEM AT THE LINK BELOW (all users):
- When you register, you will need to select the lab you'd like to use.
- MIT users will be required to provide an MIT cost object to pay for services.
- All outside users will need to complete the MRL Application for Use of Shared Facilities Form (see below).
Your approved project number will be used to bill you instead of an MIT cost object. You will receive an email when you application is approved.
2. REQUIRED SAFETY COURSES (all users):
All users are required to take two online safety courses:
- Chemical Hygiene (Course #EHS0100w-A)
- Managing Hazardous Waste (Course #EHS0501w)
The link to EHS to complete your profile and take the courses is below:
3. READ THE CHEMICAL HYGIENE PLAN (all users):
- You must read the Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Then check off in MUMMs that you have read it.
4. LAB SPECIFIC TRAINING (all users):
All users must make an appointment for lab specific training. Lab safety and general equipment safety will be discussed at this time along with further instructions for booking instruments.
5. CONTACT US: