Summer Scholars Program
The Materials Research Laboratory sponsors a Summer Research Internship Program through the NSF REU program.
The program started in 1983, and has brought hundreds of the best science and engineering undergraduates in the country to MIT for graduate-level materials research. A wide range of project areas are available.
- Only US citizens/permanent residents may apply
- Program dates: June 9, 2020 - August 13, 2021
- Stipend $5000
- Open to students who are starting their junior or senior year in September, 2021 (at any college or university other than at MIT)
- Selection is based on application, academic history and recommendation letters
- Application deadline: March 15, 2021 (rolling basis)
- Awards will be announced on or shortly after: April 1, 2021
Projects available vary from year to year. Interns select their own projects based on presentations from faculty given the first few days of the program.
Refer to our Frequently Asked Questions for more information about the program.