Summer Scholars Program
The Materials Research Laboratory sponsors a Summer Research Internship Program through the NSF REU program.
The program started in 1983, and has brought hundreds of the best science and engineering undergraduates in the country to MIT for graduate-level materials research. A wide range of project areas are available. The application must be submitted by February 14, 2020.
- Only US citizens/permanent residents may apply
- Program dates: June 7, 2020 - August 8, 2020
- Stipend $8000 plus round trip travel expenses of up to $1000
- Open to students who are starting their junior or senior year in September, 2020 (at any college or university other than at MIT)
- Selection is based on application, academic history and recommendation letters
- Application deadline : February 14, 2020
- Awards will be announced on or shortly after: March 16, 2020
- Arriving late or departing early is not permitted. You must attend all program dates. The program immerses students in the MIT environment and meets MIT's curricular standards and It is important for students to be present for all aspects of the program.
Projects available vary from year to year. Interns select their own projects based on presentations from faculty given the first few days of the program.
Refer to our Frequently Asked Questions for more information about the program.